Phillips County News - One Nation, Under God

By Pierre Bibbs
Sports Editor 

My timing was off


Last Wednesday I took most of the day off. In hindsight maybe I shouldn’t have.

My two main objectives for the day were getting a tremendous amount of yard work done and preparing spareribs for dinner.

I have had some success smoking meats as of late, so I was pretty stoked about trying to smoke a rack of pork spareribs on my day off.

My day started off pretty well. I woke up at about 4:30 a.m. for an early morning workout.

Later, I went into work for about a hour or so. Then I went home to attack a couple of the flow-er beds in our backyard. That took longer than I thought!

By the time I started the mower, it was getting hot outside and it was time to grab my wife for lunch.

After lunch was where things got kind of crazy.

My dog Bruce isn’t car broken yet. Meaning anytime he has been in a car, it’s been in a kennel.

I had to clean months of trash out of my car in order for him to sit comfortably in the passenger seat.

I was doing this while the charcoals were heating in the grill.

Eventually I had to bail on the charcoals while they were heating in order to get Bruce over for his haircut.

I got back home only to realize that I hadn’t made a rub for the ribs! So I knocked out the rub, and eventually got the ribs on by 3:30.

I then realized that it was going to take a while for the ribs to cook and dinner was going to be super late.

On top of that, the lawn wasn’t anywhere near being done and the sun scared me inside for a few reasons.

I waited until 7:30 p.m. to start on my lawn, a task that typically takes about an hour.

The sun was going down and I thought I was making good time. I was doing great until I realized if I didn’t turn up the heat in the grill, those ribs will keep cooking until midnight.

After that I thought I can get to the front yard another day. Then I changed my mind thinking the front only takes 15 minutes.

I took the ribs off the grill and started the front yard at about 8:20. I started on the front only to realize how ridiculously thick it was. There was so much grass I had to empty the bag every other row.

I eventually wore out. I had failed to get the lawn cut because I quit at 8:55, not wanting the neighbors to get upset at my noise.

My poor wife toughed it out and nearly went to bed hungry. I felt like a failure that day.

It was pretty rough but man oh man were those ribs good!


Reader Comments(0)


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021